Quaboag’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates/Helpful Information
Quabaog’s Response to the Massachusetts State of Emergency Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak:
Protocols and procedures are based on the most up-to-date guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (the CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), as well as the local and state Departments of Public Health (DPH).
- Screening: This Center COVID-19 “essential personnel” screening includes symptoms assessment and temperature checks of all entering the Center (except in cases of emergency workers responding to 911 calls)
- Non-essential personnel are not permitted to enter the Center unless they meet narrow DPH permissible criteria and pass above screening
- Staff reporting to work with symptoms are not permitted to work and CDC recommendations are followed. Staff with suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 or close contact with a COVID-19 positive person are instructed to remain out of work on isolation, in adherence with CDC guidance for health care workers.
- Visitation: Outdoor and indoor visitation is supported by this Center in designated and supervised visitation spaces under DPH and CMS guidelines designed to protect residents, staff, and visitors. All outdoor and indoor visits must be scheduled in advance and are dependent on Center’s ability to comply with DPH and CMS guidelines for when these visit types are permissible as well as the Center’s COVID-19 status, a resident’s COVID-19 status, and the COVID-19 positivity rate of the local county where Center is located.
- “Compassionate care visits” including but not exclusively referred to end-of-life situations can occur indoors under special circumstances on a “case by case.” As well as visits for participating in discharge planning/education.
- Contact the Administrator or Director of Nurses if there is a circumstance that warrants compassionate care visit consideration.
- “Virtual Visits”: Several types of electronic communication are available for scheduling a virtual video visit with assistance provided to resident for these types of visits if needed.
- Testing: COVID-19 surveillance testing of personnel and residents is conducted as directed by DPH and CMS. New employees are tested prior to starting orientation. The DPH and CMS has developed a rigorous surveillance testing program designed to aid in the early detection of COVID-19 cases (symptomatic and asymptomatic).
- Additional Measures to enhance the safety of personnel and residents includes;
- Recreational activities, communal dining, and use of the rehab therapy gym occurs in adherence to DPH guidance and the Center’s ability to meet the specific criteria of such guidance
- Staff are educated on infection control practices, personal protective equipment (PPE), performing hand hygiene, and the use of appropriate products for environmental cleaning and disinfection
- The Center maintains sufficient levels of PPE and staff are monitored for wearing the appropriate PPE. Staff are updated if changes in the PPE requirements are made. Residents are encouraged to wear a mask and to perform hand hygiene
- Isolation rooms are available for COVID-19 positive residents to receive care by designated staff
- This Center complies with the required reporting and updates on the surveillance testing and COVID-19 status of our residents and staff to the local and state DPH and CDC
Fact Sheet for residents and/or visitors when COVID-19 testing is done by BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card for Rapid Detection of COVID-19.
Click Here for Fact Sheet.
Helpful Links For Information Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19):
Mass.gov Information on the Outbreak of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (https://www.mass.gov/resource/information-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19)
CDC Learn More About COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html)